- The Department of Philosophy would like to congratulate Jason Bonsall on his invitation to present his paper,“Punishing Crime in a World Without Free Will”, at the Phi Sigma Tau’s Student Philosophy Symposiumheld at the University of North Texas on November 12th & 13th, 2010. He was also invited to deliver his paper, "Pulling the Plug", at the 3rd Annual Red River Undergraduate Philosophy Conference held at Concordia College in Moorhead, Minnesota on November 20th 2010. These accomplishments are shining examples of academic excellence in the field of Philosophy.
- Richard Preville has been awarded the Zonta Club of Charlotte Fellowhip for the 2010-2011 Academic Year! The Zonta Club of Charlotte is the city's local chapter of Zonta International, an organization that "seeks to advance the status of women worldwide by improving the legal, political, economic, educational, health and professional status of women at the global and local levels through service and advocacy." The fellowship is awarded each year to an outstanding, non-traditional graduate or undergraduate student. (We couldn't agree more!) Richard Preville is pursuing his Masters of Arts in Ethics and Philosophy at UNC Charlotte. To learn more about Zonta international visit: http://www.zonta.org/.
- Carolina Drake (Philosophy) accepted an offer from Stony Brook University in Stony Brook, NY to pursue a Master's degree in Philosophy. On March 26 and 27, Carolina attended the Conference in Philosophy and Art in Stony Brook Manhattan, which chose her paper, "Ethics and Aesthetics at the Intersection: Doris Salcedo's art and the problems with Art Theory.", for presentation. To learn more about the Conference in Philosophy and Art, visit their website at http://www.philosophyartconference.org/. A great lady that will be greatly missed!
- Alex Adkins (Philosophy) was accepted to Rice University graduate school in Houston, TX to pursue a Master's in English. He is the former president of the Philosophy Club and directed it through a very active and fruitful academic year. Congratulations Alex!
- Davis Kukendall (Philosophy) accepted an offer from Purdue University in West Lafayette, IN for Ph.D. doctorate studies in Philosophy. Davis has been an active member in coaching our Ethics Bowl and tutoring in Logic. The Philosophy Department is proud of his many accomplishments!
- Hannah Levinson (Philosophy) won First Place in the Undergraduate Session at East Tennessee State University's Student Philosophy Colloquium on March 26-27, 2010. Her winning paper also earned her a scholarship prior to the event and is titled, "Refocusing the Refugee Regime: From Vagrancy to Value." In addition, Hannah will have her paper published in the Bard College Undergraduate Philosophy Journal for Fall, 2010. No doubt more great things are in store for Hannah!
National Honors Society for Philosophy
Phi Sigma Tau
The Philosophy Department would like to CONGRATULATE the 2010-2011 INDUCTEES!
The Philosophy Department would like to congratulate
these students on their OUTSTANDING academic achievements!