1. Academic Standing
- A declared philosophy major
- GPA of at least 3.5 in all Philosophy courses counted toward the major
- GPA of at least 3.5 for all departmental and University Honors Program courses submitted towards graduation with Honors
- A grade of A in PHIL 3791
- One three-hour course chosen by the student from University Honors Program courses (while ideally this course should be in philosophy, it does not have to be).
- PHIL 3791, Honors Thesis Research (3 hours)
- Students must compose a thesis committee consisting of three UNC Charlotte faculty. At least two of the members must be in philosophy; the third may be from a relevant department or program (e.g., WGST if writing on gender, CHHS if writing on bioethics).
- One member of the committee must be affiliated with the Honors College IFF you are also submitting the thesis to University Honors.
- Students should select one member of the committee as the thesis director. The director must be a member of the philosophy department.
- Application for Admission To Candidacy Form
- THIS FORM IS THE FIRST THING YOU COMPLETE AND WHAT GETS YOU INTO THE HONORS SYSTEM.
- There are two stages to this form; part is completed when the student begins Honors coursework; part is completed when the student proposes a thesis project.
5. Oral Thesis Defense
- Once PHIL 3791 is completed and the written thesis is submitted to the thesis committee, the student will orally defend the thesis before his or her committee, other faculty, and students. See Steps/Procedures for more details on the oral defense.