Graduate Certificate in Applied Ethics
The Graduate Certificate in Applied Ethics is of interest to three groups of students:
(1) Professionals working in areas of applied ethics
(2) Students just beginning to explore graduate work in philosophy
(3) Students in other master’s and doctoral programs, such as biology, health administration, and public policy, who expect their
careers to include work in applied ethics
Philosophy Admission Requirements
Submit a personal statement outlining why the applicant seeks admission to the program
Submit two academic letters of recommendation, in addition to the recommendation forms required by the graduate school, which address the student’s philosophical skills and/or ethical reasoning
The Department of Philosophy uses the general requirements for admission to graduate certificate programs set by the Graduate School of UNC Charlotte, with the additional requirements noted below.
The applicant must possess a bachelor's degree, or its equivalent, from a regionally accredited college or university.
Applications to the Certificate program in Ethics and Applied Philosophy should be submitted to the Office of Graduate Admissions at UNC Charlotte via the Apply Yourself online application system. The Graduate School requires:
- The completion of an online application form
- A one-page statement of purpose (with one copy) outlining why the applicant seeks admission to the program
- One official transcript from all colleges or universities you have attended other than UNC Charlotte to be sent to the Graduate School at: Graduate Admissions, UNC Charlotte - 9201 University City Blvd. - Charlotte, NC - 28223-0001
- A non-deductible, non-refundable, $65.00 application fee
Recommendations: In addition to the general requirements listed above, all prospective students must also have two letters of recommendation submitted. These academic recommendations should address the student's philosophical skills and/or ethical reasoning. These letters must be uploaded by the recommenders within the online application form. Recommenders will see the following page shown below and should choose the "upload document" button.
G.P.A. Requirements: An overall grade point average of at least 2.75 (based on a 4.0 scale) on all of the applicant's previous work beyond high school. The average for the junior and senior years must be 3.0 or better. If the applicant has earned a post-baccalaureate degree, grades in that program will be taken into consideration.
Note: Admission to a graduate certificate program does not ensure admission into a graduate degree program. A separate application for admission is required for each graduate, post-baccalaureate, and certificate program of study at UNC Charlotte.